PROBLEM USING 202U RECEIVER TO REPLACE THREE-WIRE GARAGE OPERATOR PANEL

Hi William,

I have an old Sears Craftsman (Liftmaster OEM) garage door operator with a wall-mounted receiver, connected to the operator by three wires (red, white, and black). The original receiver can open the door and also operate the unit’s light fixture. Shorting the black to white operates the door, shorting the black to red closes a relay and causes the light to go on as long as the black and red are closed.

I set DIP switches 1 & 2 to ON, and ran the original black and white wires to the COM and N/O terminals for relay 1. I ran two jumpers from those to the POWER terminals to supply power to the 202U.

Then I ran another jumper from one of the POWER terminals to the N/O terminal for relay 2, and connected the original red wire to the COM on relay 2.

I cleared the codes and set up each remote for button A to operate relay 1. So far, so good. The remotes both open and close the door correctly.

Then I cleared the codes for relay 2 and configured both remotes for button 2 to operate relay 2. Unfortunately, what happened was that button B now operates the garage door (relay one) and button A does nothing.
I repeated these steps 5 or six times and the results were the same. I cannot get relay 2 to operate the light at all.

I thought that it might possibly be a polarity issue, so I reversed the black and white wires on the POWER terminals, so that the red & white wires would be shorted for relay two. When I reprogrammed the remotes the result was the same; I could get button A to reliably operate the door, but when I attempted to use learning button 2 to program relay 2 to use button B, it would instead program button B to operate the door.

Have you ever seen this behavior before? Could it be a defect in the learning circuit? It seems that both learning buttons operate on the relay 1 circuit.

Hi Carl,

I see you want to use relay 1 to control the garage door, relay 2 to control the light fixture.

And you’re having problems to program button B to control relay 2.

In that case, would you please first check our video tutorial on programming below?

If the receiver is still showing weird behaviour, please use a standalone 12-24v power supply (not jump from your door opener), and try again.

Also I have some questions for the wiring, but let’s save them after both relay works properly, thank you.

Please let me know if you have other questions, thank you.

Hi William, thanks for the prompt reply.

I don’t want to go through the trouble of cobbling together a separate power supply. It’s not worth it, when the door circuit works perfectly as is.

Your reply doesn’t make sense to me. Are you suggesting that the relay 2 learning circuit consumes more power than the relay 1 circuit?

Clear code = clear all codes.

It should be only used once after unboxing.

Unless you would like to erase all previous learned codes.

Sure, let’s stick with current power configuration if you don’t want it.

Did you check the video? in the video we showed how to program A to relay 1, and B to relay 2.

Please follow the video Carefully.

After program follow the video, did button B trigger relay 2 ?

Please let me know.

Before following the video to program relay 1&2, please clear the code once.

It is because you have already programmed buttons in receiver, so we need to clear them, before do what’s in the video.

Other than the “oops” moment when programming relay 2, and the changing of the DIP switches to demonstrate the various operating modes of the relays, I don’t see how this process is any different from the ones in the printed materials. So yes, I have followed that procedure.

What’s interesting is that I can’t re-program either relay without a power cycle reset. I can program each relay once. If I press the “learn” buttons again, they don’t respond. So maybe it is a power problem. I guess I can test that theory by clearing all codes, and then programming relay 2 to operate the lights first, before I program relay 1, and see what happens.

Oh that’s really weird.

Honestly I don’t know if the problem is related to power, or is just a defect board.

Because the power problem reported by customer before is like relay click but door doesn’t open etc, it is not during learning process.

Anyway, please try as you suggested and see how it goes.

If you prefer not to try, or decide it is defect, just return it for full refund. At least I can guarantee that.

Thanks and let me know.

Hi Carl,

Do you have any news? is the problem solved? please let me know, thank you!