DIY farm gate controller

Hello!

I have been researching and reading on how to DIY my 16’ horizontal farm gate (not a slider).

I purchased the KIT-1 from amazon, a small 7.2AH battery, solar charge controller, and 5 Watt solar panel (we won’t be using the gate much so this should be enough Wattage).

I have read the post titled " Help needed Wiring 202u Diagram for 12v Lift motor with a reversing solenoid" and understand the concept.

But my question is, can I set this style setup to have an open time of 15 Sec on one relay and a close time of 15 second with the second relay so that I can open with button A and close with button B?

My gate does not have limit switches so I am afraid if the signal from pressing button B(stop all relays) were to be late and the gate were to be held open the motor may be damaged.

I could possibly be overthinking this and just need to wire the relays per Quasar Electronics UK’s “Reversible DC Motor Using 2 SPDT Relays” diagram and then program button A and B per your Youtube video “202U V5 - Relay Working Mode - Timer Mode / 35 Seconds Example”?

Thank you for your time,

Cory

I think using relay timer is not appropriate for your application, you will need limit switches to make sure the gate is already at full open/close location, and turn off motor accordingly.
Also our onboard relay might not be powerful enough (it is for < 14Vdc, 6amps inductive load) to directly control a gate motor, so you will need to use bigger relays, and use our receiver to control it.
Thanks.

William,

Thanks for the swift reply. the motor pushing the gate is only rated to use 12Vdc at 2.4Amps. your relays on the KIT-1 I bought shows 20A 13Vdc. Would with not be good enough?

Very Respectfully,

Cory

The 20A on relay is for resistive load, while motor is inductive load.
Anyway the motor you use seems within specs, it should be fine.
Thanks.

William,

So I should be able to set the unit per the YouTube video “202U V5 - Relay Working Mode - Timer Mode / 35 Seconds Example”

and wire the relays per Quasar Electronics UK’s diagram?

Very Respectfully,

Cory

Yes, but I would recommend you use limit switches instead of timer.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.