All buttons open all doors. Yellow porgamming button

I’d like to use two separate buttons to open each of my two doors separately, one button each. Instead, all three buttons open both the doors at the same. It would be great to have the third button open both doors at the same time, but for now I really need one door, one button. Otherwise I have to return these to Amazon as malfunctioning. It looks like they should work. What did I do wrong???

3 button visor remote. Liftmaster with yellow programming buttons.

Before programming to door, Change all remote buttons to Mode 2 (you might already done that).

Erase all codes on garage door motor.

Program door one by one, when programming 2nd door, don’t touch the remote button already assigned to the first door.

Thanks.

All the buttons are set to mode 2 already. That how they got programmed to open both doors at the same time. I’ve read the opener motor instruction manual thoroughly, twice and did not find any instructions for erasing the codes.

I tried programming the doors one by one the first time, and it did not work. also, disturbingly, this morning both my garage doors were open but the remotes were in a secure place and could not have been touched.

How can I unprogram the remotes so I can return them? I can not return them if they will open my garage doors and have my address associated in the sales record.

Thanks,
Benjamin

Usually the erase all codes instructions can be found on your motor unit sticker (located near learn button).
And there is plenty video on Youtube, a quick search found below.

When programming step takes too long, you door might accidently learnt the remotes from your neighbour, sometimes this caused activation.

Thanks.

Yes, I’ve seen many instruction like these. They do not work for my opener. The light does not turn off when I hold the learn button down for even 60 seconds. I’ve read the manual and there are no instructions for forgetting codes, only for changing the pin settings in the remotes.

I do think that my opener learned my neighbor’s code, but I can not get it to forget it. It is a big problem.

My opener is a Liftmaster 1140. Here is the manual opened to the page about the learn button :Match/Change Code; Radio Controls - Chamberlain 1145- 1/3HP Owner's Manual [Page 6] | ManualsLib

Can you help me?

Liftmaster 1140 is a pretty old model using dip switches for programming.

It only works with dip switches remote, Our remote simply won’t work on the model, that’s weird.

Can you take a photo of your motor’s control panel with learn button? so I can check further.

I just checked again the opener motor’s manual, as well as 61LM remote’s manual, it seems I can’t find the erase code steps.

What about an alternative way? do you have a original dip switches remote?
You can flush the old codes, by programming new ones (set different dip switches position on your 61LM remote).
When the motor’s memory is full, the old codes will be erased.

Yes, I have several dip switch remotes and when I changed the switch settings they stopped working, then they start working again when I paired them using the smart button.

Unfortunately, the remotes you sold me also still work. Disturbingly, the doors open “randomly,” meaning I can’t figure out what triggers them to open - or close. I know my neighbor was not anywhere near when it opened this morning.This is worrisome because the doors might close when I’m driving in or out of the garage and cause damage to my car.

I changed the dip switch settings and paired the remotes six different times to see if I could get the motor’s memory full. The remotes with the old dip switch settings stopped working, so that looks like it “flushed the memory out,”, but the remotes you sold me still open both doors at the same time. How can this be happening? And the doors are still opening randomly. The only way to secure my garage right now is to unplug the openers.

Yes, I have several dip switch remotes and when I changed the switch settings they stopped working, then they start working again when I paired them using the smart button.

Yes, this is correct behaviour, the receiver remembered the remote’s dip switches settings/code, and after you changed dip switch code, receiver lose pairing.

Unfortunately, the remotes you sold me also still work. Disturbingly, the doors open “randomly,” meaning I can’t figure out what triggers them to open - or close. I know my neighbor was not anywhere near when it opened this morning.This is worrisome because the doors might close when I’m driving in or out of the garage and cause damage to my car.

That’s the weird part, because our remote shouldn’t work at all, your motor unit is using a older dip switches system (pre-1993), the correct remote should be 61LM series.
My guess is, somehow, the motor recognized part of our signal (81LM), and stored in its memory, so our remote activates your door.
And the stored ‘code’ somehow matches environment radio noise? which caused random activation?
To verify this, remove batteries from our remote, to see if your door still opens.

I changed the dip switch settings and paired the remotes six different times to see if I could get the motor’s memory full. The remotes with the old dip switch settings stopped working, so that looks like it “flushed the memory out,”, but the remotes you sold me still open both doors at the same time. How can this be happening? And the doors are still opening randomly. The only way to secure my garage right now is to unplug the openers.

Honestly I don’t know, during door pairing procedure, receiver just simply stored a code, simple as that, there is no secret way to cause that behaviour.
I have spent hours trying to find a way to erase all codes on motor, but it seems Liftmaster haven’t implemented a way to do that in 1992.

If after you removed all batteries from our remote, door still opens, and there is no way to erase all coes, I’m afraid you will need to replace the receiver board. (at least the memory unit on it).

Thanks.

The first thing I did when the doors started opening and closing by themselves is take the batteries out of the remotes. That did not stop the random opening and closing. I have no idea where to get a new receiver board. For now, until I can get a better solution, I’ve installed wifi switches for each opener and set geofencing rules to turn the switches off when I leave home and turn them on when I come back. It’s a PITA but it does make the doors far more secure than they were before. The only problem is if my internet goes out I’ll have to operate the switches manually.

I do appreciate the work you’ve done, William. I’d really like to better understand how your remotes paired with my opener though. It is as if they had passed some kind of super code that made everything open and close!

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.